Isle Royale National Park was authorized by Congress on March 3, 1931 by President Herbert Hoover "to conserve a prime example of North Woods Wilderness." Isle Royale National Park was established on April 3, 1940 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The park was designated part of the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1976, under the Wilderness Act, and remains today as an example of primitive America. In fact, over 99% of the land in Isle Royale is designated wilderness. Further honors were bestowed when Isle Royale was designated U.S. Biosphere Reserve, giving it global scientific and educational significance.
The Park, located in Lake Superior's northwest corner is a wilderness archipelago - a roadless land of wild creatures, unspoiled forests, refreshing lakes, and rugged, scenic shores - accessible only by boat or floatplane. Travel on and around the island by foot, boat, or float plane. Isle Royale has 165 miles of scenic hiking trails ready for exploration and 36 campgrounds for backpackers and recreational boaters. Excellent fishing opportunities abound on one of the Island's many inland lakes or on Lake Superior.
The Park is composed of many parallel ridges resulting from ancient lava flows which were tilted and glaciated. There are historic lighthouses and shipwrecks, ancient copper mining sites, and plenty of spots to observe the moose, wolves, loons, beaver, fox, and other small mammals and birdlife. Diving opportunities abound to many Lake Superior shipwrecks.